Thursday, May 22, 2008

Settling in to #9

Hello Again,

Well, the first one worked, and I even got e-mails saying people liked it! So, off we go with post #2:

Life here continues to be grand (with the one major exception of missing home so much), as we get more settled, and start familiarising ourselves with our new community. I realised yesterday morning that this is each of our 9th move to a new city or country (not including moves within cities and moves back home so many times), so we're reasonably used to the process of getting out and quickly finding the basics like friends, housing, work, groceries and sushi. We're now at the stage where we're progressing from a general awareness of where we live, where Brent works, where to get money, and some good places to get groceries, to learning which roads we prefer to take to town, which places are good for lunch, bus schedules, better places to get groceries, and even finding a few friends!

Two of our new friends Jan and Don, took us on Sunday morning to the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. It was a sweltering morning -the heat wave was giving the thermometers a last push upwards, but the fruit was shaded in tightly rowed stands, and the heat just made the fresh-picked strawberries, oranges and grapefruit that much more fragrant. My favourite though, were the peaches! Many of the farms had free samples, and the fresh slices of white peach were to die for. They were so ripe and I bought so many in my excitement that by the time we got them home half of them were squished beyond recognition - I'll have to remember a little restraint next time!

Brent has been working long hours this week as he continues to get more familiar with his office and his role within it, a process he is really enjoying, though I think he is feeling a bit bogged-down by the day-to-day admin tasks when he feels the need to be focusing on the strategic planning for which he was hired. Luckily, he seems to be liking the team that he is working with, so that makes everything easier.

Meanwhile, in addition to my newly acquired domestic duties (those who know me will be laughing, I know - but wait till I post photos of the inside of this apartment!) I have started looking into volunteer opportunities with a number of agencies in San Diego, though I am still hoping that my main volunteering will be in the IRC office. My other main endeavour over the coming months will be to learn Spanish! I have researched some language programs here, and will hopefully be starting a series of back-to-back courses to take me from Beginner through to Intermediate High over the next 3-4 months!


Well there's always more to write, but I will save that for tomorrow. The heat wave finally broke, so we're back to precious cool weather, and hopefully a good night's sleep!


Adios mes amis (sorry, the language courses need to at least begin before I can write it all en Espanol!)


Jen

1 comment:

  1. Jen, maybe you can find you local SPCA and volunteer to walk teeny dogs wearing sweaters and nail polish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete