Monday, July 7, 2008

My dream job












I don't have my dream job yet... but I am now one step closer!

Last week I went to an interview at the University of San Diego's Joan B. Kroc Institute of Peace and Justice (IPJ) to be considered for a Peace Writer position, for their 2008 Women PeaceMakers program... and last night, (now last week since this post is taking so long to complete), I found out I got the job! The Woman PeaceMakers program selects 4 women from conflict zones around the world who are doing exceptional work in the area of peace and/or justice in their communities (at a local, national or international level). The women are invited to the Kroc Institute for an 8-week residency of lectures, workshops and an international conference, in which the women all participate. One of the primary goals of the program is to document the stories of these women, and their struggles for peace. To achieve this, the program pairs each of the 4 women with a Peace Writer - someone who interviews them extensively, helps them prepare their presentations, coaches them on public speaking elements of their residency, as well as accompanies them for the duration of their time in San Diego. Most importantly, the Peace Writer is tasked with writing her partner's story in an article which will be published at the end of the program.

While it is only a 10-week position, it will be a great opportunity, and I am hoping that it could lead to further work with the institute. The minute we arrived on the campus for the interview I felt like a kid entering Disneyland; by the time I left I was so enamoured I was ready to trim shrubs just to call USD my place of work! However, I think the IPJ would be a better fit (I have yet to develop my green thumb). The staff's resumes include work on national peace negotiations, election monitoring and working with civil and political groups in conflict and post-conflict societies. A key area of interest for the IPJ also seems to be on women's rights as necessary components to peaceful and just societies. I am hoping the Peace Writer position will be an opportunity for me to learn more about the areas of peace building and peace making as a possible career. Sorry for going on about what may sound boring to many people, but this is what does it for me!










In other news, yesterday was a sad day as my parents finally left San Diego after an extended 2-week stay. We threw in a lot to their first trip because we wanted to ensure that they would come back! So from pro baseball games, vineyards, camping, beaches, and lots of shopping to symphony concerts and fireworks, we kept them busy! However, despite our best efforts, I think their highlights were buying and working on our car (Dad), and our local Market's wine specials (delicious $10 wine on for $2.99/bottle plus a 10% discount when you buy 6 bottles, for Mom)!

As you can see from the photos, we had a lot of fun (yes, Mom and I are riding Segways)! However, all good things must also end, so the folks are now on their drive back north to get back to Victoria, and especially Barclay! (For those who were worried, we continue to check their routes and they should be able to avoid the California wildfires). Which means Brent and I finally have to go back to work! I took time off while they were here, but on Tuesday my intensive Spanish class began, and I have now returned to work in the afternoon at IRC. It makes for exhausting days (including a full 2 hrs on, or waiting for buses!), but it allows Brent and I to meet for lunch every day and ride the bus home together, and I am very pleased to finally be learning Spanish!
Well, this post has taken me nearly a week to write, so while there is (always?) more to say, I think I'll sign off here.
Missing you all!
Adios!
Jen and Brent

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jen! I knew you would get it!! It's the perfect job for you!

    miss you xoxo C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jen, that's so exciting! Your job sounds AWESOME! Can't wait to hear more about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow - the dream job sounds fantastic! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Jen! That sounds like an amazing job! You'll get to meet some really interesting people too-congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you provided them with a very nice vacation, indeed. Congrats again about the position- I'm sure they will love you and they'd have a great "permanent" employee in you. Tell Brent his brother is keeping his finger, afterall. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. yaaay jenny!! way to go, my dear - what a fabulous opportunity for you! your pics are so cute too.
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, thanks everyone! This job is sure close to my dream job, but I'm hoping the real dream job (DJ for short) may come afterwards in the form of a long-term position with the IPJ... we will see!

    Regardless, I'm really excited, so I'll be sure to tell you about how it goes once it starts... if I get a moment of free time over the 10weeks ;-)

    In the meantime, I'll enjoy my 6 weeks of something like a 9-5.

    Missing all you lovely ladies tons!

    xox J

    ReplyDelete