Monday, June 23, 2008

Working girl

It's 7pm and I'm trying to stay awake...

Today I put in my first day at IRC. Now I can see why Brent comes home exhausted every day, and I was only there for 4.5 hrs! All that big talk I did about not being able to sit around and do nothing for three months is suddenly sounding hollow... a day flopped out on the computer, reading and watching baby births on Discovery Health is looking pretty good right about now.

Seriously, it's not that bad. I got to meet the program team that I'll be working with, and the Program Coordinator instructed everyone to write out their schedules for the week and give me and her a copy so that we could make the "best use of my time with them". How flattering. However, every time I was introduced, people would ask what I was there doing, etc. then after my answer, and a moment of silence, someone would inevitably add, "and she's Brent's wife." I would have to agree, and my cover for future "so, what do you think of the new guy?" investigations was blown.

We have been dying to have a steady, "normal" working routine for what seems like years now, but as many warned us, the reality is a little less glamorous than we had imagined. Up at 6am, to the gym or a run by 6:30, to the bus stop by 7:45, at work by 8:15am, work through lunch, then home by 6:15, make and eat dinner and we're ready for bed before 8pm! I know this isn't a "hard" schedule compared to many people, so could someone tell me why we are so beat? Maybe everyone's this beat and they just hide it better...
At least we have weekends!

This past weekend we went out to a cocktail hour with friends on a rooftop restaurant in Bankers Hill, bordering Hillcrest. The outdoor roof was packed. It was a near-exclusively gay event, and I was one of about 4 women in the whole crowd. While the company was great and the view over San Diego to the ocean was stunning as the sun set, the highlight of my night was walking down the 7 flights of stairs with a couple behind me that started commenting on my figure. Hey, you've still got it if you can get "hit on" by gay guys...!





I was hoping to be signing off in Spanish tonight, but unfortunately my Spanish lessons were postponed again, and so I've switched to an intensive month-long course which will be 5 mornings a week starting next week. Spanish in the mornings, IRC in the afternoons. However, after getting my feet wet this week, I will likely take some time off from IRC next week for my parent's visit. Speaking of which, they started their drive down here today - yay!
Ok, it's now 9pm... I think I can justify heading to bed now. Good night from sweltering southern California,
J & B

3 comments:

  1. Dude... wait until you have kids... I don't know how people do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, one of the babies shows I was watching on Discovery Health shows new couples adjusting to the first month with a baby - there's the constant attention to this new life you must care for, and soon a full work day (in the US most places only give about a month for mat leave!!!) PLUS sleepless nights?! How do people stay sane???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you got a car! Post a picture so we can see just how sexy it is!
    Also, happy belated Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete